Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Introduction

My life through writing.

I always liked to write, I must have inherited it from my father who wrote a diary from age twenty till he turned minty years old. It was a family myth that even when he had to run away from the German Gestapo he did not forget his old leather bag with his diaries. He wrote in Hungarian and later, when he and my mother settled down in Jerusalem, in Hebrew.

I started my diary when I was ten and wrote diligently all through my high-school years documenting my teenage ups-and-downs. I continued later through my army service and university years in the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. I took my diary with me when I went to study in Pittsburgh, working on my degree in counseling -Ed.

I don’t remember at what point I started to leave my diary behind. Perhaps getting involved in other types of writing mostly newsletters and professional writing diverted me away from the more personal aspects. Maybe being very engrossed in raising a family while holding a full time job as a teacher and school counselor did not leave me  much time. In any case, my diary, by now, a whole pile of numbered notebooks, was left untouched and tucked away.

It was not until we arrived to Maine and purchased our motel four years ago that I felt this tug again. I wanted to write but wasn’t sure what kind of writing and even more complicated in what language. I did try to write in Hebrew and document the motel purchase experience but it was way too early for that. So, instead I joined a creative writing class. Writing in English proved to be an intriguing challenge. Creative writing surprisingly was stimulating and deeply rewarding. Having a supportive group to bring my writings to every week was an added bonus.

I became addicted. Words and phrases filled my head and I spent many hours trying to put them on paper. Maybe at age sixty I can go back to my lost diary and pick up where I left. Like my father writing in a language other than my mother tongue but writing none the less.   

3 comments:

  1. You're in good company writing in a language other than your mother tongue: Conrad, Nabokov, Luc Sante, Ted Morgan, WG Sebald immediately come to mind.

    And what sorts of things have you written? How far did you get with the motel purchase story? What do you hope to get from this course?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking :-)
    I wrote in my home town weekly newspaper, mostly education related stuff for few years.
    Wrote and self published a self-help book for adults with learning disabilities.
    I changed the motel purchase story into a collection of short stories, hopefully funny, about my experiences running a motel (in English). I have been working on it for the past two years.
    From this course I hope to get more practice and feedback. Writing is a lonely occupation so any companionship along the way is very helpful.
    Ariela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly offer assignments, practice, feedback. Companionship, not so much, as there are only five or six people taking ENG 262....

    ReplyDelete